The conference will discuss the findings from a three-year study of elite foreign policy attitudes and security policy preferences, comparing the views of the UK elite with their American counterparts, and the UK public.
This study is the first of this scale in the UK, led by Dr Catarina Thomson, University of Exeter, and funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC).
Further information on the project can be found at Constraints on the Design of Security Policy.
Panel discussions will focus on the following topics:
- Formal and Informal Interactions in the National Security Council and the fixed-term Strategic Defence and Security Review
- Comparing Foreign Policy attitudes and security policy preferences of UK elites and the general public
- Comparing Foreign Policy attitudes and security policy preferences of UK and US elites
Confirmed participants include:
- Nicholas Beadle CMG, Senior Associate Fellow, RUSI
- Professor Michael Clarke, Senior Associate Fellow, RUSI
- Thomas Raines, Research Fellow and Programme Manager, Europe Programme, Chatham House
- Professor Jason Reiffler, Professor of Political Science, University of Exeter
- Dina Smeltz, Senior Fellow, Public Opinion and Foreign Policy, Chicago Council on Global Affairs